58 West Hastings
58 West Hastings is an innovative social housing project in the Downtown Eastside that will provide 230 new homes alongside a 50,000 square foot integrated health centre serving the entire community.
The 10-storey building is a unique project that brings together all levels of government in partnership with a charitable foundation to create a new standard of community-oriented social housing in Vancouver. With funding from BC Housing and Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, and proceeds of a $30-million fundraising campaign by the Vancouver Chinatown Foundation, this innovative health and housing project is projected to cost $115 million and is slated to begin construction in early 2021.
Vancouver Chinatown Foundation has worked closely with the City of Vancouver, BC Housing, CMHC, and Vancouver Coastal Health to define the right mix of housing that will provide access for a variety of low-income residents while ensuring the project remains financially viable. With a mix of welfare/pension and HILS rates, this is the largest social housing project of its kind in Vancouver, providing much needed affordable housing options.
As a 'community within a community' 58 West Hastings will provide homes alongside a wide range of services within the same development - from healthcare and wellness to life skills, local experiences, and support for residents.
“58 West Hastings will provide a safe place to live, an exceptional quality of living and strong sense of community.”
— Joy McPhail, Founding Chair of the 58 West Hastings Advisory Board
- The Vancouver Coastal Health Clinic will be approximately 50,000 square feet and is situated on the first three floors of the building.
- 230 units of housing on seven floors
- 117 homes at welfare rate
- 113 homes at HILs rate (HILs, or Housing Income Limits, represent the income required to pay the average market rent for an appropriately sized unit in the private market. This dictates an eligibility for a subsidy given by the government)
- Secured underground and bicycle parking
- Units will be a mix of micro, studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units
- Storage in every unit
- Balconies in majority of units
- Shared laundry facilities on every floor
- 4th floor amenity space
- Two unprogrammed indoor amenity rooms
- Exterior common area with urban agriculture plots
- Children’s play area